What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is a sector of medicine that offers professional oral health care. It is concerned with improving the cosmetic appearance of patients who have various oral conditions. Cosmetic dentistry is largely practiced for adults, even though teenagers and kids can also benefit from it.
As adults, the set of teeth that grow after baby teeth are permanent. They are meant to last an entire lifetime. This is not always true for all patients. Accidents, injuries, poor oral hygiene, among other factors, can deteriorate the health of teeth. For others, a visit to a cosmetic dentist in Dorval is informed by natural anomalies of the teeth.
What Are Some of The Dental Issues Addressed in Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is a wide area. It covers very many dental procedures. Ideally, almost all of the dental treatments offered by a Dorval cosmetic dentist have an aesthetic effect. This means that close to all oral therapies can be featured as cosmetic treatments. However, you can only consider a treatment cosmetic if the sole purpose is to improve the appearance of a patient’s smile. Some dental issues addressed in cosmetic dentistry include:
- Misaligned teeth – this is probably the most common dental problem fixed in cosmetic dentistry. The alignment of teeth varies from patient to another, depending on several factors, for example, genes, bone structure, size, and shape of teeth. If teeth are not straight, the smile is affected. In this case, a dentist in Dorval will offer orthodontic treatment to such patients.
- Discolored teeth – teeth can turn yellow or brownish with time. The causes can range from food stains and medication to poor oral hygiene and enamel thinning. Whatever the reason, a dentist in Dorval can fix this situation and improve your cosmetic appearance.
- Chipped, cracked, or broken teeth – injuries and accidents can result in chipped, cracked, or broken teeth. Luckily, in cosmetic dentistry, a Dorval dentist can resolve this condition in different ways.
- Missing teeth – dentists in Montreal are well equipped to restore a smile by bridging the gap created by a missing tooth. There are indeed different treatments that can achieve this.
- Gum issues – whether your gum is infected or is behaving out of the ordinary, it can cause a cosmetic disaster. A dentist in Montreal is best placed at identifying the problem with your gums and finding the best aesthetic solution for it.
The Different Types of Cosmetic Dental Treatments
Given the information above and findings from a dentist in Dorval QC, it is evident that cosmetic dentistry is used to bridge many oral conditions. The idea is to end up with a brighter smile that boosts your confidence. When you visit a dentist near you for cosmetic concerns, several treatments will be suggested to you, including:
- Teeth whitening – the procedure is focused solely on improving the color of teeth. It speeds up the bleaching process to make them whiter than they are.
- Dental bridges – as suggested by its name, dental bridges are used to bridge the gap caused by missing teeth. Usually, the treatment is resourceful when the patient still has some teeth intact.
- Dental crowns – are common in the dentistry world. They are used to treat different oral conditions, including tooth decay. Their purpose is to cap teeth to offer them protection and strength. However, they are also used to cover dental flaws in cosmetic dentistry.
- Onlays and inlays – serve a similar purpose as dental crowns. They are, however, a more conservative approach. They are mostly used to fix broken teeth and mild dental decays.
- Dental bonding – also used to fix broken and chipped teeth. They can be used to improve the appearance by correcting the shape, size, and color of teeth.
- Dental implants – they are useful for replacing missing teeth. They are planted into the jaw and bone of teeth to provide a stable foundation for an artificial tooth.
- Full-mouth dental restorations – this is the most comprehensive cosmetic treatment that exists. It often involves more than one of the treatments mentioned prior. It is commonly offered to patients that have advanced dental conditions, including multiple missing teeth.
Cosmetic dentistry is wide. It covers a lot of dental flaws to give the world better smiles. Thankfully, technology has provided several creative innovations that can help intervene in the oral crisis and improve the aesthetic appeals of human beings.